Testing Services Procedures
Students must be aware of the following guidelines when using the JCCC Testing Center services.
General policy: Students are not allowed to use books, notes, calculators, etc., while testing in the lab, unless permitted by the instructor. Any testing materials provided by Testing Services to students must be returned to Testing personnel upon completion of exam(s). This includes, but is not limited to: paper-and-pencil exams, log-in sheets, scratch paper, notes, books, rulers, etc. Students need to have a clear understanding of the test requirements, before arriving to take a test. The testing lab only proctors exams and has no control over the requirements or availability of tests. Students needing to verify if a test is available in the lab should contact the instructor directly.
Noncompliance penalties and unauthorized testing materials: You will be penalized if you bring personal items and/or unauthorized testing materials into the lab or if you remove or try to remove any testing materials provided by Testing Services from the lab.
Students bringing personal items and/or unauthorized testing materials into the lab will:
- have their testing session stopped, and
- have their test collected immediately, and
- have notification of their noncompliant actions sent to their instructor and the dean of Student Services, and
- be suspended from using the services Testing Services offers for a semester
Students are notified of this policy prior to entering the lab through written and posted notifications.
Items not allowed in the Testing Services lab include, but are not limited to:
- any and all electronic devices (e.g., activity trackers, iPods, MP3 players, radios, headphones, portable stereos, etc.)
- flash drives
- food or drinks (including water)
- hats and scarves
- sunglass/eyeglass cases
- pencil bags/boxes
- personal scratch paper
- unauthorized notes and books
- calculator lids
Identification: You must present a current official photo identification card such as a JCCC ID, driver’s license, military ID or Kansas State ID prior to taking any test. You will not be allowed to test without proper identification.
Scheduling: All tests, with the exception of standardized tests, are administered on a walk-in basis during the lab’s published hours. Seating is limited. You are encouraged to allow sufficient time for completing an exam within the published hours of the lab. All exams are collected at closing time, even if not complete.
Grading: The testing lab serves as a proctored environment for the administration of tests. Faculty will grade their own tests.
Proctoring: Lab personnel visually monitor students taking a test. Closed circuit cameras are also used to monitor activity in the lab. Any irregularities in the administration process are reported to the instructor and to the dean of Student Services.
Special accommodations: Students who have been approved for special accommodations need to call the ADA testing coordinator at 913-469-8500 ext. 2487 to schedule testing times.
Lockers: Personal and/or unauthorized materials are not allowed in the Testing Services’ labs. You are encouraged to leave these materials in your car. If this is not possible, a secure locker may be available to store these items while you are testing. Food or drinks are not to be stored in lockers. Lockers are limited in number, are available on a first-come first-served basis, and will accommodate up to an average-size backpack (rolling backpacks will not fit in a locker). If you have items too large to fit in these lockers, you will need to make other arrangements to secure your items while you are testing.
The following guidelines apply when using these secure lockers:
- Secure lockers are the property of Testing Services and are available only to students while they are taking a test in the testing lab.
- Lockers will be inspected periodically throughout the day and items left after students test will be collected and sent to the JCCC campus police Lost and Found.
- Personal items left unattended may be turned over to campus police.
- Students will be held responsible for any damage to lockers, including lost keys, which will result in a fee to be paid by the student and a hold placed on the student's account until the fee is paid.
- JCCC and Testing Services are not responsible for items stored in the lockers (e.g.,damage to items, items stolen from lockers, etc.).
Note: No children are allowed in the testing lab as a courtesy to all testers. Food and drink are not allowed in the lab.