Apartments Close to JCCC
Most international students live in apartments either on their own or with roommates. It is reasonable to expect off campus housing to cost between $350 and $900 per month depending on the number of people sharing the expenses of an apartment.
In addition to monthly rent, others costs are incurred when living in an apartment. They may include:
- Utilities (water, electricity, gas, water, trash, Internet etc)
- A security deposit (usually one month’s rent)
- Application fee
- Renters’ insurance
Signing a Lease
When renting an apartment, it is customary to sign a lease:
- A lease is a legally binding rental contact which specifies terms of the rental and the length of time you will be renting the apartment.
- Most leases are for 12 month however, in some cases, leases are available for 6 months at an additional cost.
- A lease obliges you to pay rent for the term of the lease even if you move out of the apartment.
- You often have to have a social security number to rent an apartment. If not, you must usually have a US co-sponsor or pay 6 months’ rent in advance to be eligible to rent an apartment.
- Because a lease is a legal contract, make sure you completely understand it before signing it.
Searching for an Apartment
Listings of apartment for rent may be found in:
- The classified section of the Kansas City Star newspaper
- Free apartment guide brochures found in local grocery and/or convenience stores.
- Apartment search engine websites such as movingoffcampus or forrentuniversity.
Apartments Close to Campus
Apartment Name and Distance from JCCC
The Claremont 0.68 miles (1.09 km)
Barrington Park Townhomes 0.71 miles (1.14 km)
Coventry Oaks 1.12 miles (1.79 km)
Waterford Place Apartments & Townhomes 1.28 miles (2.05 km)
Creekside Apartment Homes 1.50 miles (2.41 km)
Crowne Chase Apartments 1.59 miles (2.54 km)
The Preserve 1.71 miles (2.74 km)