Selection and Ranking
The selection and ranking process is as follows:
Final Selection into the Program
Final selection will be based upon total ranking criteria of each applicant as follows:
- The academic assessment includes ACT science test scores and GPA based only on coursework (or GED score) required for the program that has been completed by the application deadline. The academic assessment will contribute 90 percent to the final ranking. (If you have 12 or more applicable college credits, your college GPA will be used for ranking purposes.)
- Johnson County and Kansas residents will be given priority consideration. County residency must be established six (6) months prior to the Jan. 15 application deadline to qualify for these additional points, which count as 10 percent of the final ranking.
- Current Kansas CNA certificate is active through the deadline date, even if you are currently employed as a CNA. Note: Program director waiver may be granted for active Kansas CMA or HHA.
Johnson County residents = 10 additional points*
Kansas residents = 5 additional points*
* Applicants can only qualify for points from one of these residencies.
After all rankings are completed, applicants will be notified as to whether or not they have been accepted into the program.
- The Nursing coursework GPA, Science ACT score and residency will be used for ranking for admission to the RN program..
- The top 64 students will be invited into the JCCC Nursing Program.
- A waiting list will be established should any of the candidates decline their position.
- Applicants are notified in mid-March as to whether or not they have been selected for the program..
- A mailed letter will advise you if you have not been selected, and will include your wait-list ranking.
- If you are not offered a position, please make an appointment with JCCC Counseling to assess your options.
- Final selection will be based on the following ranking criteria for each applicant:
- The academic assessment contributes 90% of the final ranking. The ACT Science Reasoning score is weighted 30%, and the GPA in the required general education courses is 60%. If the applicant has 12 or more applicable college credits toward the degree, college GPA will be used for ranking purposes. For those with fewer than 12, the high school or GED GPA will be used.
- Proof of Residency: 10 points (10% of final ranking) for eligible Johnson County residents, 5 for eligible Kansas residents.
- After rankings are completed (mid-March), applicants will be notified by certified mail if they have been accepted into the program.
- Application materials received after the Jan. 15 deadline will not be considered.