Admission Criteria - Respiratory Care
Admission requirements for the Respiratory Care program selection process.
Apply now to be considered for the next class beginning in fall 2017. Applications are due Oct. 15, 2016.
Before completing your application, review the respiratory care admission requirements (download printable information packet - PDF).
The application for admission will be academically evaluated after the deadline provided that all required documents have been received. The following criteria will be used to determine the final ranking and selection:
- An overall college grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or greater. An overall college GPA of 2.5 or greater is preferred with additional consideration given to these candidates.
- A minimum grade of "C" in all prerequisite courses is required. Prerequisite course may only be repeated once to achieve the minimum grade of "C". A prerequisite college GPA of 2.8 or greater is preferred with additional consideration given to these candidates.
- Completion of prerequisite courses is not required for application to the program, but students must have a reasonable plan for completion by the start date of the program.
- Additional consideration is given to the currency of the course work, demonstration of ability to successfully complete a semester of 9 hours or more, and healthcare courses successfully completed beyond the minimal requirements. Special consideration is also given to candidates who have completed a degree, and with previous healthcare experience.
Actively Learn About the Profession
- All candidates should contact program personnel prior to the application process to discuss the nature and expectations of program and professional activities.
- Candidates should investigate observational experiences in hospital respiratory care departments prior to application to the program. A list of suggested sites for observations is available from the program office.
- Another source of information is the American Association for Respiratory Care (AARC), especially the Career Section.
A copy of the Disclosure and Consent for Background Check form is in the application packet (see the application instructions). This form must be signed and turned in with the application to the program. Once the selection process is complete, the program office will follow up with instructions on how to initiate the background check and make payment to Validity Screening Solutions. The results of the background check must be available to the program director before confirming the final selection. Any flagged records are reviewed on a case-by-case situation, but may prevent acceptance to the program.