How to Apply - Paralegal Program
The Paralegal program is a selective admission program.
If you want to become a paralegal, the following steps can set you on your way toward your career path. Because this is a selective admission program, please pay particular attention to the transcript and eligibility requirements. If you have applied before and were not selected, you must reapply.
New JCCC Students:
- Prospective Paralegal students who have not attended JCCC before or have not attended in more than two years must complete a JCCC application for admission. The application is the first step in the enrollment process; select Non-Degree Seeking or Liberal Arts for your major.
- After you receive your JCCC ID number, follow the steps below.
Current JCCC Students:
- Have your JCCC ID number ready.
- Compete the Fall 2017 AA Paralegal or Paralegal Certificate application form. (You may need to create a new account before you can begin; this is not your MyJCCC account information.)
- Arrange for official transcripts to be sent directly to JCCC from all previous college you have attended. It is not necessary to request JCCC transcripts or transcripts already on file at JCCC. Your transcripts must demonstrate a GPA of 2.0 or higher to be eligible for admission to the program.
- Complete the Watson-Glaser Assessment of Critical Thinking with a minimum score of 25 (Form S) or 50 (Form B). The Watson-Glaser test may be taken without charge in Testing Services.
- Monitor your Fall 2017 Paralegal personal admission plan on your MyJCCC account for information on your application status.
In order to be guaranteed consideration for admission to the JCCC Paralegal program, all application materials must be received in the Admissions office on or before the following dates:
For preferential admission to the spring semester – Oct. 1.
To begin during the spring semester – Dec. 1.
For preferential admission to the fall semester – April 1.
To begin during the fall semester – July 1.
To make sure that your application is processed in time for admission to the program in the next semester, you should submit your application and complete the prerequisites as soon as possible.
Verification of Receipt
You will receive a personal admission plan on your MyJCCC account to verify receipt of materials in the Admissions office. In order to notify you of your file status, we strongly recommend that all materials be submitted well in advance of the deadline date. Please call the Admissions office at 913-469-8500, ext. 3438, if you have questions.
Review of application
Your application for admission will be reviewed after the priority and final deadlines. You will be notified by email as to whether or not you have successfully met the academic criteria.
Applicants who successfully meet the minimum academic criteria will be scheduled for an informational interview with a Paralegal instructor.
Acknowledgement of Acceptance
You will receive an email if we offer you a place in the Paralegal program. You will have five (5) working days to accept or deny the position by responding to that email. After we receive your acceptance to the position, we will change your major. After your major has been changed, you will receive an email and then be able to enroll in the Paralegal courses.
All questions concerning the admission process should be directed to Admissions.