Access Services Intrepreting for Students with Disabilities
If you wish to use the services of an interpreter or transliterator for classes at JCCC you should make an appointment with Janna Willnauer, Access Services supervisor. You will need to submit your audiogram to determine the appropriateness of the request.
When requesting an interpreter, you have the following responsibilities:
- Be on time for classes. At JCCC, interpreters are required to wait for a student 15 minutes for each hour that the class is scheduled to meet. An interpreter is only required to wait a maximum of 45 minutes for a three-hour class. After waiting the appropriate amount of time, the interpreter will report back to Access Services for reassignment.
- Introduce yourself to both the interpreter and the professor.
- Review closed captioning options for videotape/film material with the professor if needed. Make sure the interpreter has a chance to preview video/film material if you want that video be interpreted.
- Contact Access Services immediately at ext. 3521 or ext. 3234 or call or text 816-507-0696 if an interpreter does not show up for class. If a substitute interpreter is not available, Access Services will try to send an audio recorder to class. The lecture will be taped and then interpreted at a later time.
- If you have a problem understanding the professor or interpreter during class, you should first discuss the problem with the interpreter (he/she may be able to change his/her signing style and resolve the confusion). If the problem cannot be resolved with the interpreter, contact Access Services.
- If an interpreter needs to be scheduled for activities outside of regularly scheduled classes (e.g. a meeting with a professor or tutor or a performance in the Carlsen Center), go to Access Services in the Student Success Center at least 48 hours in advance to complete an “Interpreter Request Form.”
- Important: If you miss three consecutive or excessive classes without notifying Access Services, interpreting services will be suspended. You must meet with Janna Willnauer, Access Services supervisor, to reinstate services. If there is a problem with attending class, contact the Access supervisor.