The National Academy of Railroad Sciences (NARS), a partnership of JCCC and BNSF Railway, offers training for aspiring railroad workers as well as those already employed in the industry.
Aspiring Railroad Workers
At NARS you can learn the skills to become a highly qualified and technically trained conductor, locomotive electrician, machinist, signalman, freight car repairman and welder. You'll participate in immersive, hands-on training with high-tech, industry-standard equipment.
Job Prospects for Railroad Workers
The U.S. Department of Labor compiles statistics on the careers involving railroad science. You'll find information specifically related to careers in Kansas, including salary information and the job prospects.
- Locomotive Engineers
- Railroad Conductors and Yardmasters
- Railroad Brake, Signal, and Switch Operators
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Gainful Employment Data - Railroad Conductor Certificate
- Gainful Employment Data - Railroad Electronics Certificate
Those already working in the industry or on private track, can also take advantage of our classes and programs to comply with FRA, OSHA, BNSF or employer requirements while enhancing their career prospects.