Railroad Freight Car Training Day Preparation
Clothing and Equipment
Before the start of class, you will be required to purchase the following personal protective equipment.
Safety shoes that meet the following criteria:
- Sturdy non-leather sole that will resist puncture
- 3/8-inch to 1-inch defined instep
- Rounded toe
- Above ankle (minimum 5-inch height as measured from inside of boot)
- Minimum ANSI Z41.1, 75 lb. and compression class toe
- Lace up
- Prescription eye glasses should meet the ANSI Z87.1 safety standards
- Have permanently attached side shields
Appropriate dress at the National Academy of Railroad Sciences: slacks, jeans, collared shirt, blouses, skirts or dresses of a professional length, and shoes.
Prohibited: shorts, tank or halter tops, sleeveless shirts; exposed midriffs and excessively loose, torn or tattered clothing; flip-flops; sandals; shirts and hats with inappropriate or offensive pictures, language or alcohol advertisements.
- Garments should be durable
- Flame resistant – Designed to provide spark protection and abrasion resistant
- Properly sized apparel – Not baggy, loose, oversized, draping or frayed
- No rings, watches, bracelets, earrings or necklaces
Personal Mail and Emergency Messages
In the case of a personal emergency during the training day, students may be reached at the National Academy of Railroad Sciences at the following telephone number: 913-319-2602. Please be sure to supply the student’s name and program enrolled.
NARS is located in the ITC building on the southwest corner of the JCCC campus.