The purpose of the honors program scholarship is to support students in completion of requirements to graduate from the honors program.
The intent of the scholarship is to help cover tuition and fees.
To apply for an honors program scholarship, students must meet the following criteria:
1. Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5 (from JCCC or other colleges) in courses completed in the previous five years
2. Have applied and been accepted into the honors program
3. Have completed, or be in the process of completing, a minimum of 12 semester hours of college-level (nondevelopmental) course work at JCCC
4. Be a high school graduate or have a GED
5. Plan to graduate from the honors program and obtain a two-year degree from JCCC
Preference is given to students who have shown progress in completing honors requirements.
Students who meet the requirements will have access to the forms in the Honors D2L Community group. The application process consists of the following steps:
1. Complete the scholarship application form.
2. Request two letters of recommendation from JCCC instructors who know you and your academic work, and have the letters sent to the honors director.
3. Attach a 500 word written essay describing your educational/career goals and why you want to complete the honors program.
4. Submit application to the honors office, COM 201.
5. Second round candidates, if necessary, will interview with the honors scholarship committee.
The honors program scholarship pays up to $1,000 a semester toward tuition and fees. Students receiving the scholarship are expected to enroll in a minimum of eight credit hours. The scholarship will cover a maximum of $4,500.
Scholarship recipients do not need to reapply each semester for the scholarship long as they maintain a minimum cumulative 3.5 GPA, complete honors coursework with a grade of C or better, demonstrate progress toward meeting requirements to graduate from JCCC and the honors program, successfully complete all coursework attempted, and have not graduated. Any scholarship recipient who drops a course may be required to reapply for the scholarship for the following semester. Students who apply but do not receive the scholarship may reapply in subsequent semesters.
Number of Awards
The number of new scholarships awarded each semester is determined by the amount of funding available. First priority is given to renewing scholarship recipients.
If you have questions or concerns, contact the Honors Program office at 913-469-2434.