Counseling and Advising for Online Students
JCCC's counseling faculty members are here to help you reach your educational and career goals and are dedicated to ensuring your academic success. Whether you are attending classes on campus or online, we want to meet you where you are! Some of our online services include general advising, planning your semester, transfer advising, degree planning, and graduation information. You can connect with a counselor in several different ways:
You can ask a counselor general questions by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If possible, please send the email from your JCCC email address.
- Use the subject line to describe your content.
- Protect your personal information by using the body of the email to include your full name and JCCC ID number.
- Provide the details necessary to answer your question.
- Please allow 1-2 business days for a response.
- If your question is more immediate in nature, consider contacting a counselor via instant messaging.
Instant Message Advising
If you have a general question, IM a counselor through Instant Message (IM) Advising.
Consider the following tips when contacting a counselor using IM:
- IM hours are generally from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday, but availability may vary depending upon the traffic in the Success Center.
- If a counselor is not available using IM, please consider sending an email.
- Due to the unsecure nature of IM, the IM counselor is not permitted to discuss student account information. If you have questions of this nature, please consider sending an email instead.
How to Use the IM Box
- Enter your username. This can be your true name or an alias.
- Type your question into the dialog box.
- Wait for the counselor to respond.
- If your message is not being answered during our available hours, please refresh your page and try again.
- Ask a follow-up question if necessary.
- Let the IM counselor know when your question has been answered or if you need to end the session.
If your question requires more attention, the IM counselor may provide contact information to follow up with you directly by email or phone.
To set up a phone appointment, please call 913-469-3809.
For in depth information about specific online classes, use Online Course Information Guide. You will find information about how the course is organized, if there are any on-campus meetings or exams, and more!