- With ACT's decision to no longer support the COMPASS placement test, faculty in the math, English, and reading departments have worked to identify and assess new methodologies for placement of students in the appropriate coursework. The College has replaced the COMPASS test with the College's Board's ACCUPLACER test. Faculty within these disciplines will be monitoring the success of the exam at placing students in the appropriate level of coursework and reviewing appropriate cut-off scores.
- The Student Pathways initiative was implemented as part of a strategic plan and AQIP project in Fall 2016. Student Pathways makes use of success advocates and counselors to support first-time, first-year students with targeted interventions focused on helping these students succeed. All first-time, first-year students—2,642 in Fall 2016—will automatically be enrolled in an online zero-credit Student Success Course with four modules: Be Prepared, Be Connected, Be Informed, and Be Career Ready. This course will guide students through a variety of academic support and other resources on campus with timely success activities throughout the semester.
- The Collaboration Center is a new channel for faculty engagement with students. Opened in Fall 2016, the space was designed to support academic experiential learning for students working on projects with faculty and community businesses or non-profits. The technologically enhanced space provides opportunities for students to develop digital portfolios.
- The Academic Resource Centers have begun offering virtual tutoring through video conferencing tools such as Zoom and online chats. Based on pilots, virtual tutoring will become an ongoing part of student service offerings, extending the reach of the resource centers to students beyond campus and occasionally beyond typical standard business hours.
- A new series of videos are being produced that focus on tips for becoming a college student. These videos will be published on the College website and in the learning management system. This effort supports communication on the availability of academic support services.
- An additional enhancement based on the work of one of the strategic plan task teams is the use of co-curricular transcripting software. The College has purchased a co-curricular transcript application and plans to move forward with this option for students.